December 1st


I enjoyed changing the calender today. December is one of my favorite months. Personally I was hoping to see some snow in the forecast for the next week so that it would feel like a proper December, but nothing like that in the 7 day forecast. Perhaps I will have to be content to just dream about snow and start my annual ritual of reading "The Long Winter". I read it every year and can recite parts of it by memory but I still love that book. It makes me count my blessings and also makes me think about the "stuff" folks were made of back then. Determination unmatched.
We have had strong winds the last couple of days, stripping the changing color leaves off the trees. You see more bare limbs reaching up to the sky like an old mans veiny hands.
Taking down the clothes on the line this morning reminded me why I still hang clothes, they were infused with fresh air and a softness that you can't find by using a fabric softener or a dryer sheet. I love watching the wind blow the whites on the line...tiny sails billowing against the bright blue sky. Next the towels will go on the line, dancing all around.

Make sure you go outside tonight and take a look at Venus and Jupiter so close to the crescent moon, your next opportunity for such a sight will be in 2052 !

Photos from last winter....I am dreaming !

Comments

Charity Grace said…
Oh! I saw them last night and wondered what they were since I knew stars/planets weren't usually that close to the moon. Beautiful! I will have to show the kids tonight if it's not overcast.
Dana and Daisy said…
oh maybe I should get Steve's telescope out of the attic too then!

Your icy pictures must not be from today, I'm guessing?
Marianna said…
They were saying on the news at noon that a viewer from near New Palestine had called in with a report of flurries this morning! I think that might have been wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be nice. Of course, mid-70's for tomorrow so probably not.

Marianna
PlainCatholic said…
Thank you for the reminder about the two planets. We have a couple of inches of snow on the ground and cloud cover so we may not be able to see it. Yet tis a blessing to be having the snow.

Your goats are delightful! God bless you for this blog.
Iowa Gal said…
Your book called, THE LONG WINTER,sounds interesting. Is it by Laura Ingalls Wilder? I love her books and when I read them it is as if a person can travel back in time. Don't you wish you could go back in time, if only for a day??.JAN
Aunt Jenny said…
I loved the idea of re-reading the Long Winter. I got it out today (found that we have several copies..my girls LOVE it) and started reading it. It has been too long (at least 4 years) and I am so glad you mentioned it!! Thanks! I get so many great ideas and inspiration from you!! And I LOVE your photos!
R. Aastrup said…
Wasn't that a beautiful sight?! I tried taking pictures, but don't have a tripod, so just got squiggles in the beautiful dark blue sky. Ah well...

The last time I read Laura Ingalls Wilder, I was beyond impressed at the quality of her writing. I don't think I appreciated the technical aspects of it when I was enjoying her books as a child, but now, wow! Double blessing!

Popular Posts